On Tuesday, March 20, LGW hosted the first ever Philanthropy Panel and Nonprofit Showcase sponsored by A Wider Circle.
Developed by LGW Members Craig Strent (’09) and Adam Levner (’14) the event was created with the intention of bridging the connection between LGW members, and the opportunities to invest in the community through funding or volunteer service. More than 60 nonprofit leaders and capacity builders, gathered for an evening of insights and inspiration.
A panel of philanthropic leaders, including Debbi Jarvis (’09), Vice President, Corporate Relations, Pepco, Sonia McCormick (’10), Senior Vice President l Director of Client & Community Relations, PNC, Tobi Printz-Platnick (’17), Associate Director, The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation , led a candid and informative talk, moderated Rosie Allen-Herring (’02), President and CEO, United Way of the National Capital Area by regarding what funders look for an how organizations can learn to best position themselves with philanthropic brands. Panelists shared insights on their personal giving philosophy and the most effective ways to connect with funders. The organizations in attendance appreciated the candid conversation, which also included tips on the best way for a nonprofit to set themselves apart, approach a foundation or how to master the recommended style to report on a grant.
“We need Leadership Greater Washington to help us achieve our goals for our company. Sustainability is how we are connected. It’s about doing well by doing good, and we have so many opportunities to do good with Leadership Greater Washington.”-Debbie Jarvis (’09)
Following the panel, members enjoyed a reception featuring 17 diverse member-led nonprofits with more information on ways to engage with organizations making positive change throughout the region. Guests connected with organizations and their colleagues while also strategizing next steps to continue engagement.
• A Wider Circle, Mark Bergel ('16)
• Alice Ferguson Foundation for Environmental Education, Lori Arguelles ('16)
• A-SPAN, Kathy Sibert ('17)
• Break A Difference, Stephen McMahon ('04)
• Capital City Public Charter School, Karen Dresden ('15)
• Critical Exposure, Adam Levner ('14)
• DC Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, Brenda Miller (’96)
• Don Bosco Cristo Rey, Ana Chapa ('18)
• Educare DC, Pyper Davis ('17)
• Generation Hope, Nicole Lewis ('16)
• Hope Connections for Cancer Support, Paula Rothenberg ('00)
• KEYS for the Homeless Foundation, Inc., Valerie Johnson ('13)
• LAYC Career Academy, Nicole Hanrahan ('16)
• Levine Music, Stan Spracker ('06)
• Life Pieces To Masterpieces, Mary Brown ('09)
• Posse Foundation, Tamara Lawson ('15)
• Service Women's Action Network (SWAN), Lydia Watts ('03)
• Whitman-Walker Health, Abby Fenton ('12)
Click here to view pictures from the event:
LGW looks forward to continuing working with members to create new ways to connect, not only within out networks but also with the regional community at large. Thank you to our presenting program sponsors, A Wider Circle, our event host, Pepco Edison Place Gallery, sponsors Geppetto Catering and Apex Home Loans.